Mechanism of Action Pathway2
Here’s what happens on the cellular level.
- After instillation in the bladder, Cysview interacts with the heme biosynthetic pathway.
- Selective intracellular accumulation of photoactive porphyrins (PAP) takes place.
- PAPs preferentially accumulate in rapidly proliferating neoplastic cells.
- After one hour, sufficient PAPs accumulate.
- Under subsequent blue light illumination, neoplastic cells fluoresce bright pink.
How Cysview (HAL) is metabolized in cancer cells
1 Cysview [prescribing Information]. 2019:1-4.
2 Wachoska M, Muchowicz A, et al. Aminolevulinic Acid (ALA) as a Prodrug in Photodynamic Therapy of Cancer. Molecules. 2011;16(5):4140-4164.